Monday, June 20, 2011

Done In Love

If you were to ask me one of the things the Lord has been teaching me over the course of the last year, it would be the practicality of Christianity. Simple things like feeding the hungry. Giving a glass of water to the thirsty. Placing a coat on those who don't have one. Simple, practical ways to show the love of Jesus.

As I was reading through the book of 1 Corinthians the last couple of weeks, I came to the all-familiar "Love Chapter" - chapter 13. Whenever I read this chapter, I have to go slowly. Reading deliberately - because it is easy for me glaze over the true meaning of Paul's words. This week, I was struck by verse 3 --

"If I give all my possessions to feed the poor . . . but do not have love, it profits me nothing."
So as I pray over and consider how the Lord would have me to practically participate in the Gospel, I was struck my the reality that I cannot just do things. Whatever I do, it must be done in love. However the Lord calls me to feed the hungry, give water to the thirsty, clothe the naked, and care for orphans and widows, I pray that I would never get into a habit of doing.

As I sang with the kids at Abiding Savior in our summer care program, " . . . It must be done in love! MUST BE DONE IN LOVE!"

No comments:

Post a Comment