Friday, April 8, 2011

in or out?

Sometimes I wonder why it is so hard for me to see the need of others, or to encourage them, or maybe even get a long with them. I want to make a difference in other peoples lives, but I can't seem to connect or do anything. Then I start worrying about how I am failing at relating to them or developing a relationship with them. So where then is my focus?

I just saw the movie "Soul Surfer" which is about Bethany Hamilton, a surfer who lost her arm in a shark attack. Her story is tremendously inspirational and moving. But what really stuck out to me was her outward focus, and positive attitude. Through her whole accident and transition, her focus was on others rather than herself most of the time. God used this to point out to me where my focus has been. Even though I am in ministry, and I want to make an impact in these kids and youths lives, my focus has been on myself. "How I can make a difference. How I can be liked by them. How I know so much. I....I....I." Even being rejected is because of my pride. What a waste of my life!

God wants us, His children, to keep our eyes on Christ. Only by Him can we do anything. All through the Bible it teaches us to have an upward and outward focus, never inward. In Philippians 2 it tells of the attitude we should have, which is to be like Christ. When we keep our eyes on Christ, He is able to work in our hearts and lives. But when we focus on ourselves, and let Christ in around what is going on in our lives, nothing works, and He can't change our hearts and lives or use us as effectively in His work and will. To love Him is to never want to take our eyes off of Him.

Rather than worrying about myself, maybe I need to focus completely on Christ and how I can be Him to others, and spill His love into their lives, rather than trying to soak it up from them. Then look to the needs of others and their interests before I even think about mine. Lord, help me to be selfless, and have complete JOY in putting YOU first, others second, and myself last.

1 comment: