Monday, November 15, 2010

Ready and Waiting - ?

Last Thursday night, as I was driving home from class in Bismarck, I stumbled upon a radio station I had never encountered before. I couldn't tell you the name of the host, or even the name of the program or station; however, what I do remember has really impacted me over the last couple of days. This man confidently declared that Jesus will return on May 21, 2011.

My initial reaction was that of scoffing, thinking of the verse in which Jesus proclaims that: "'But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.' . . . 'Therefore be on the alert, for you do not know which day your Lord is coming.' . . . 'You also must be ready; for the Son of Man is coming at an hour when you do not think He will'" (Matthew 21:36, 42, 44). I don't think Jesus will return on May 21, 2011 because it's a date that man has set; a date declared by some believers as the certain date of His return - so they are expecting it. From what I can see in Scripture, Jesus will come when we are least expecting it.

But, that confident declaration on the radio got me thinking. If Jesus' return was certain to happen on May 21, 2011, what would I be doing differently? Why should I even bother going to class? Why don't we just travel the globe, evangelizing to the lost? Why are people planning weddings for next summer - why not just elope?

That got me thinking even more: isn't that what I should be doing now? The exact date of Jesus' return is uncertain, yet do I live with expectancy that He is returning, and returning soon? I should be living every moment of every day with the realization that at any second Jesus could burst through the clouds, coming in power and might, calling believers home. Am I excited for that? Am I ready to go?

I discovered that honestly, I'm not. Although I am a saved believer, I am still a selfish one. There are still things I want to do in this life - like become a mom, get a job teaching . . . Man! Am I selfish or what?! Who am I to put my own desires ahead of the Lord? Shouldn't I be rejoicing exceedingly at the very idea of His return happening soon?

Tonight, I prayed for the Lord's forgiveness regarding my selfish attitude, and that He'll replace it with that exceeding joy and constant anticipation of His return. What about you? Are you ready for His return? Are you ready to give up that which you so longing for in this lifetime for a lifetime with Jesus in eternity?

"Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires." - Galatians 5:24

1 comment:

  1. I think this goes well with the many passages talking about keeping our eyes on the prize. I was reading something pertaining to that in 1Peter tonight (the reference escapes me) but it was talking about our hope in Christ's resurrection. We should be so focused on that end that our lives drip and radiate the love and hope of Christ and His coming. My prayer is that people would know that my citizenship is not in this world because my treasure is in better things... "for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" and " from the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks." When our hope is truly in Jesus, our hearts will be with Him too. When our hearts are with Jesus, our mouths (and lives) will reflect that as well.

    ReplyDelete