Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Joyful Trust

Today I have just been kind of sitting around thinking and praying about life.  I've kind of been feeling restless lately.  I'm itching for something more to do.  Some new kind of adventure or some other task that God wants me to do and I'm beginning to realize how this is fitting so very nicely into something that God has been trying to teach me lately.

You see, I often know what I need to do but I don't always do what I know I need to be doing with joy.  I tend to just kind of slavishly do it.  Instead of taking joy in what I am doing and enjoying the people that I am with or what I am doing I can get lost in what I think I would rather be doing.  Reality for me though is that when I am doing what I am doing with joy, satisfied that God is in control, and I'm not longing for that which I think I need or need to be doing.  I find that I really am doing what God wants me to do and that is exactly what I want to be doing.  

Are you guys like that?  You want to do God's will so bad that you are always, or at least sometimes, wondering if there is something else that you should be doing.  I'm like that and I am finding that taking joy in what we are doing and trusting God at the present time are two of the things that God wants us to be doing when we're doing the things that He wants us to be doing.  It's hard though isn't it when you think there is more that God wants you to do in life, when you have high hopes and dreams for something and He is asking you to wait on His timing, or when you know you are not yet what you should be?  Doing life with joy, trusting that He is in control and you are right where He wants you to be is what He is asking of us.  

Abraham kind of screwed himself over, and the rest of the world, when he didn't wait on God's timing for his son to be born; so my suggestion to you while you wait is this: Do it with joy and trust that what God says He wants to do in you or through you will come to pass.  We cannot make it happen.  Trust that He can.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the encouragement to wait upon the Lord, Justin. I know how you feel . . . I always feel like I should be doing something "bigger" and "better" - forgetting that I need to be faithful to where the Lord has placed me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you said about being joyful where we are at Justin. It makes me wonder if to have joy where we are at and trust in God's timing, we need to be content and faithful daily with where He currently has us in life. I too look to the future too often thinking, God you must have more for me, instead of focusing on be faithful right where I am right now. I think you and Tim are on the same track, with what he wrote yesterday about everyday life. Not every day is a mountain top experience and not every day are we in the midst of something we would view as lofty, but everyday we are to turn to God and depend on Him and trust He is in the details both big and small. In this life we may never know the lasting impact of things that may seem small to us now. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete