Monday, November 1, 2010

Helpless

Why do we pray? Why do you, friend, pray?

It is simple communication with God? Is it us bringing our concerns and desires before Him? Do we simply pray because that's just what Christians are to do?

O. Hallesby wrote in his book on Prayer, "Only those who are truly helpless can pray." What a shocking realization . . . and what a wonderful truth!

Yesterday morning, as Pastor Shane McLoughlin preached on this subject of helplessness, I could not help but remember the discouragement I had felt only a week before. The discouragement of my heart was to due to circumstances I cannot fix or change. It is the Lord who does all the work necessary for salvation - it is He who died, He who softens hearts, He who grows faith, He who convicts, He who saves. The Lord doesn't need us, He doesn't need me - He chooses to use us, but He is not dependent upon us. We are dependent upon Him.

"What then is Apollos? And what is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, even as the Lord gave opportunity to each one. I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth. So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth." - 1 Corinthians 3:5-7

"Let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." - Hebrews 4:16

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; from where shall my help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth. He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep." - Psalm 121:1-4

"'Call to Me, and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and mighty things, which you do not know.'" - Jeremiah 33:3

"'Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.'" - Matthew 11:28-30

Do we recognize our helplessness before the LORD? Do we recognize that we can do absolutely nothing without Him? I pray that each one of us will come to that place quickly, instead of relying partially on the Lord and partially on ourselves to accomplish His work. Become helpless, become weak, because then the Lord's power shall be perfected in us (2 Corinthians 12:9).

No comments:

Post a Comment