Wednesday, November 3, 2010

clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ

As I sat in the parking lot at work this morning reading in Romans I thought, what would go through my co-workers minds if they saw me reading my Bible and does my behavior at work reflect my faith in Him? I know I have had moments where I have failed to honor Him with my actions and my words. 


Romans 13: 11-14 says "And do this, understanding the present time: The hour has already come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy. Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh."


In a scene from his music video for "The 11th Dimension" Julian Casablancas writes a quote on a black board that has been stuck in my mind for a few weeks now.
"Sin is honoring desire above what you know is right"
Now I am by no means looking to the lead singer of the Strokes as a moral compass, but that phrase really got me thinking. 

We do not fall into sin accidentally, when it comes right down to it sin is intentional. We don't sin mistakenly, we know when we are sinning. And when we sin we chose to honor something above God. Sin directly dishonors God. I hope that each day I keep in mind to be clothed in Christ, I hope that others see Him in me and that I honor Him not my own selfish desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment