Sunday, September 12, 2010

Oh the Places You'll Go!

"The Waiting Place...

...for people just waiting.
Waiting for a train to go
or a bus to come, or a plane to go
or the mail to come, or the rain to go
or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow
or the waiting around for a Yes or No
or waiting for their hair to grow.
Everyone is just waiting.

Waiting for the fish to bite
or waiting for the wind to fly a kite
or waiting around for Friday night
or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake
or a pot to boil, or a Better Break
or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants
or a wig with curls, or Another Chance.
Everyone is just waiting."
~"Oh the Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss

Do you ever feel like you're just waiting? Nothing in your life is exactly where you'd like it to be? I felt that way for so many years, especially in waiting for Bible School to start. I fear far too many of us are in this "waiting place" because we're not content to accept the present time. The quote above is from one of my favorite children's books, and the very next word after that is "NO!" Because we're called to live, not to wait for life to be what we want.

In Jeremiah 29:11 it says, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." This verse says that God does have wonderful things in store for each of us, but He's not going to have you solely waiting for them instead of living.

So today I ask you this, what are you waiting for? There's a song by John Walker titled "While I'm Waiting" that has a line in it that says, "I'll be running the race even while I wait."

Are you running?

3 comments:

  1. I totally relate, Kate! It's so easy to be looking so forward to something while missing what the Lord has for us where we are. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the contrast of the title with the section that you quoted, Kate. If all we do is wait for whatever is down the road, we won't see or experience all the places the Lord has in store for us to adventure to! Oh the places you will go when you step out in faith in every moment of every day, sometimes right at our fingertips!!

    ReplyDelete