Saturday, September 11, 2010

First Things First

First of all, I must tell you a short story. This past July, I was able to spend the entire month working at a Young Life camp in Northern Michigan; Timber Wolf Lake. As the "Outdoor Crew Boss" my daily responsibilities involved encouraging, motivating, and working alongside six high school kids. The bulk of our work was with grass. Some 27 acres of turf cover this camp, and we had the joy of working with the Landscape Supervisor, Wayne Bartlett. One day, as we took a break, Wayne shared with us his life story. Something that Wayne said has had a huge impact on my life ... "Give the Lord the first hour of everyday, the first dime of every dollar, and the first day of the week." These simple words, along with a simple prayer, have had simply amazing results in my life.

A little more than a month has passed and I am walking through life with Jesus, and He is closer to me than ever before. Sometimes it feels like we are running together and I'm positive that He can run a faster mile than me. Thursday afternoon I was running around Normandale Lake with Jesus, He was pushing me to run harder, encouraging me as I was slowing down, and reminding me of so many great "firsts" in my life.

First and foremost, Jesus' death and resurrection has shaped me to be the man that I am today. With that being said, here are many of the other "firsts" that Jesus brought to my mind when we were running together on Thursday.

First chair on a powder day and first tracks eight minutes later.
My first day of school and then my first school picture.
My first car. The first time I was pulled over by the fuzz.
First season pass to Big Mountain.
The first time I was offered drugs. The first time I said "No."
My first bike. The first time I entered a mountain bike race, winning first place.
The first time I went for a run; and actually had fun.
The first time I witnessed someone get thrown through a wall.
The first time I saw my mother really mad.
The first day of college.
Skipping class to go skiing, for the first time.
My first road trip.
The ever so memorable first job. Two weeks later, receiving my first paycheck.
My first time climbing a peak in Glacier Park.
Realizing for the first time that I'm losing my hair.
Being in a wedding for the first time.
For the first time, caring about school.
Sharing with someone what God has done in my life for the first time.
The first time I slept in the back of my car.
First kiss.
My first visit to the emergency room.
Reading an entire book for the first time, just for my own enjoyment.
Hearing for the first time "She has a crush on you."
Having that first DTR.
First ride in a helicopter.
Living with my first "randomly selected roommate."
The first time I realized I am lactose intolerant.
Finding the first Easter egg.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, the first of the firsts, the first things that came to mind.

I urge you to think about some of the "firsts" in your life, and maybe for the first time, think about how God has been a part of every one of them.

2 comments:

  1. It was very sobering for me to realize better just how much God has given me, all the first different adventures, heartbreaks, provisions, etc.

    But it was most good to be reminded that God deserves our firsts...our first hour of the day, first day of the week, and first dime of every dollar...when we give God our leftovers, we are essentially saying He isn't worth it. The God of the universe who created all creation, designed our bodies to work so complex and amazing, whose lovingkindnesses never cease, He isn't worth just a little bit of anything...I give my dogs my leftovers from the table, or throw away "junk" that I find in my room that I don't need. How heart breaking it is for us to be seen as second, third, or last in someone's life that we truly love, and yet we have no problem doing it to God. Where is our heart when we do this?

    There is so much blessing that comes out of giving God our firsts...after being reminded of the importance of giving God my firsts, I have made it priority to give God the first hour of my day, because usually when I don't, something else comes up, so that time gets pushed back til later...and later...maybe I'll do it later...But after telling God my desire to do so, He has been my alarm clock, and He has spoken to me in such a special way. He timing is perfect and His plan is awesome. Life isn't going to be easy. Being a Christian doesn't mean we have a life of pleasure and easy-going time.

    Thanks for provoking the thoughts and the actions, Tim. God used you to bless my life these past few days. Accountability to each of our brothers and sisters in Christ is needed and is for our good. I pray God blesses you even more in a great way today, Tim!

    Praise God, whose lovingkindness NEVER ceases!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, thanks for sharing that. I heard recently someone ask a question about "what things, if you did them, would immeasurably ground your life?" The author mentioned Scripture reading, Scripture memory, accountability with mature Christian friends, and undistracted time with family. Seems like a good list. Thanks for sharing about "the first hour of your day," and thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete