Friday, July 2, 2010

let it go...

I have never in my life been more thankful of the Character of comfort in God - whether that be by consolation or encouragement. But as it seems to be, we never truly understand each of His characters until we experience them in our own lives. Then He becomes more personal, and we know Him more. God comforts us in all times, especially the difficult ones. But He can't comfort us if we don't give our cares, our anxieties, our thoughts, or worries to Him. Sure we can hold on to them, but what good does that do? We can't make them go away. We can't take care of them. Only God can.


He has really impressed on me the need to let go of everything, especially my thoughts, needs, concerns, health, sins…and not just things that are affecting me right now, but everything in my life. I have noticed that when I hold on to things tightly, I clasp on to them right over my heart. And when I do that, I am not letting God into my heart to rid me of myself and become more like Him, let alone let Him take care of me. I can't become more like Him when I hold on to myself, which is the very thing that I need to get rid of.


When I let go on my own there usually are strings attached, and pretty soon I am clasping it in my hands again. But I am thankful that God gives me the strength to let go, comforts me in that time, and draws me closer to Him, which is exactly where I want and need to be.


When we give our most prized possessions, more valued thoughts, He takes care of them! He is the amazing I AM, He is everything that we need! Look at what He has done in your life, and know that He will continue to work a good work in you. As life goes on, He wraps His arms of love around us, and comforts us. And as we go though life, we are able to help others going through afflictions, but we need to keep our eyes open for them, for they may not come to us...


2 Corinthians 1:3-4 (Amplified Bible)

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of sympathy (pity and mercy) and the God [Who is the Source] of every comfort (consolation and encouragement), Who comforts (consoles and encourages) us in every trouble (calamity and affliction), so that we may also be able to comfort (console and encourage) those who are in any kind of trouble or distress, with the comfort (consolation and encouragement) with which we ourselves are comforted (consoled and encouraged) by God.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I can't become more like Him when I hold on to myself, which is the very thing that I need to get rid of."

    Great thought, Rachel. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete