Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The role of the young adult in the church

Last week I asked the question: "What do you think the role of the young adult in the Church is?" I feel it is only fair that I answer that question myself.


The simple one sentence answer would be that the role of the young adult in the Church is the same as any other member of the church. However, what does that actually mean?


Young adult ministry is, I would say, as complicated as young adults are. We are in a transitional time of life, transient, at varying stages (single, dating, engaged, married, parents) in our age range, hard to nail down, and yes, even non-committal. Hmm those sound slightly negative... We are allow extremely enthusiastic, full or potential and full of energy. So how do you minister to us?


I agree with Sarah that it's easy for us to feel misplaced. Part of my desire to engage in young adult ministry is that very fact. I've often struggled with figuring out where I belong as a young adult. I'm so glad she brought up the point of us using our gifts and being a blessing to others. Isn't that the call of a Christian. How many times have we read or heard a sermon on 1 Corinthians 12, specfically verse 12 (which says, "The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ")? And verse 27, "Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it." How exciting to be a part of the body of Christ, to each have a God given gift to use to glorify Him and bless the church! (Thanks Tim and Justin for your discussion on this as well :))


I'm also exciting that Jordan shared that we each need a Paul, Jonathan and Timothy in our life. How true! And all three can be found in our congregation. Do you have relationships like that in your life? Are you willing to invest in those kinds of relationships? Do you desire to have those relationships in you life?
My heart and passion for young adults is to see a growing movement in the church to seek to invest in and utilize our age group while at the same time young adults are also seeking to invest in the church and intentionally striving to be active members of their congregation.
I would love to hear your continued thoughts on this topic. God's blessings on your week!


Naomi

No comments:

Post a Comment