Sunday, July 25, 2010

Immutable God

I'm going to be honest, reading through the Old Testament used to bore me to death. However, this past year I have found it more engaging than ever! The stories just blow me away. It amazes me how time and time again God showed His power, might, and faithfulness to His children.

One of my favorite stories is when God leads the Israelites through the desert, especially when Joshua takes over. Can you imagine what Joshua must have felt? The leader of the entire Hebrew people who had lead them against Pharaoh and out of Egypt for so long was suddenly gone. In my mind, it would have been so easy for Joshua to give up, but instead He chose to follow God's plan. I'm sure these things did occur to him at one moment though, as God assured him in Joshua 1:5 "No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life. Just as I was with Moses, I will be with you. I will not leave you or forsake you."

Did you catch that?

"Just as I was with moses, I will be with you."

When I read that verse I was astonished. Suddenly it hit me that our God is the same exact God that that lead the Israelites through the Red Sea, the same God that brought water from a rock, the same God that brought down fire on a wet offering on the top of a mountain for Elijah. In my mind, it can't seem possible that the One that I pray to could really be the same as the One who heard the cries of David. Hebrews 13:8 reassures that though, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." He really is the same God that could handle everything back then! How then could He not handle the minor trials that we face each day?

He's the same God of the Old Testament and the same God that is all worthy of our praise and trust today!

1 comment:

  1. Funny, God's been really hitting me with the following verses (especially the last one). Lines up with what you're saying too. I love how God speaks through His word!

    Romans 8:28-31:
    28And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
    29For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren;
    30and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.
    31What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us?

    ReplyDelete