Monday, July 19, 2010

Every Opportunity

VBS is here! VBS is here!

The arrival of VBS and the Cornerstone team is almost like Christmas. I just get giddy when I think about the ministry, fun, and fellowship that encompasses Vacation Bible School. On Sunday, as the team members shared a puppet skit, introduced themselves to the congregation, and gave a testimony of faith, I couldn't help but remember the days in which I longed to be one of them. I couldn't wait to be a student at AFLBS, where I would study the enduring Word of God verses ridiculous geometry equations. I imagined myself as a summer team member - jumping wildly while singing "The Hippo Song", teaching children about our incredible Savior Jesus Christ, meeting believers all across the country . . . The time came and, before I even realized it -

It was done. I graduated from AFLBS, served my last ten weeks on a summer team. Years of dreaming and anticipation so quickly licked up by time.

I contemplated this on Sunday morning. For two summers, I served on a summer missions team - 10 weeks each summer. That means total, I served 20 weeks as a summer team member.

20 weeks. That's not even a whole year. Or even half of a year.

As the truths hit me in the forehead like the stone hit Goliath, I recalled a passage of Scripture in which we are exhorted to be ". . . making the most of every opportunity" (Colossians 4:5). Every opportunity, regardless of whether you are in a "spotlight" ministry position or the "coveted" ministry position. So often we look forward to specific ministry opportunities - such as serving on a AFLBS summer team or traveling with a group to a designated mission field. How many ministry opportunities do we miss right here, in our own neighborhoods? In our own schools? In our workplaces?

"Therefore, be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is." (Ephesians 5:15-17). "God our Savior . . . desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." (1 Timothy 2:3-4)

May the Lord find us faithfully serving Him where we are - not always looking forward to a time to come. Every where He places us should be a ministry position, an opportunity to share the love of Jesus. Dear brothers and sisters, let us not waste our time.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post, Sarah! I was just thinking about this very thing today, and it helped to piece some thoughts together. I listened to a speaker online from Cadre Ministries on how we are called to FULL time ministry everyday when we first accept God's gift of grace in Christ. It doesn't matter where we are, what we are able to do or not able to do. God has placed us where we are with what we need to obey that call, and we do need to make the most of those opportunities that He gives us before they are gone. This too involves our workplace, where employees are most effective to reach into each others lives, where we can live the gospel. And the grocery store. Everywhere! It hurts so much when we realize that we have missed an opportunity and are too late.

    We are Ambassadors of Christ. Our option is to obey that call, or to ignore it and do what we want to do. I agree with you, Sarah...let us not waste any time. Let's live for His glory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Rachel! Thanks for your thoughts. I know that I do not want to look back when my life is near its end, realizing how many opportunities I've missed. Unfortunately, a pile of them is already starting . . .

    ReplyDelete