Monday, April 26, 2010

Bringing Him glory in the midst of the Ordinary

Do you ever feel like your life is monotonous? Same thing, day after day, with perhaps only a little variation? Even then the variation may be the fact that you ate Honey Nut Cheerios for breakfast instead of Life. I had one of those monotonous days the other day. At work, my day consisted of: take paint can off of shelf --> remove old label --> replace with newer, prettier label --> return to place on shelf. This terribly exciting process continued for approximately two to three hours (it was so exciting that I lost track of time!).

Later that evening as I plopped down on the couch to plunge through a textbook or two, I chatted with my good friend Heidi on Skype. Heidi has such a wonderful heart for the Lord and seems to always be busy about His work; talking to her is so exciting and encouraging for me. But then as I considered my all-important paint can label activity of the day, I thought, "Good grief, Sarah. What good are you doing at that lumberyard?" But Heidi told me something that challenged me to change my outlook. She suggested that perhaps the Lord had given me a job of monotony so that I could focus on establishing my marriage with Jordan, invest a greater time with the girls at youth group, and plunging ahead in school. I'm so quick to complain . . . and yet, the Lord knows what He is doing.

I've often times been challenged by the words of Colossians 3:23-24. Last week at work, I was given a renewed sense of challenge and encouragement in them. "Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve." Our perspective of work of any kind changes when we view it in that light, doesn't it? Whether we spend our days replacing paint can labels, serving coffee, or dealing with unruly children, we are to remember that our true boss is the Lord. We are His servants in whatever area He has placed us in. We never know exactly why He has placed us where He has; we simply must be faithful to be good stewards of the time and resources He has given us. Forgive me, O Lord, for the times I haven't!

May our hearts be focused on Christ in all of our activities this week. He is the reason we have life; let our lives bring Him glory!

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my rock and my Redeemer." - Psalm 19:14


1 comment:

  1. Sarah, what an encouragement! Thank you for the reminder that it is the Lord Christ whom we serve! And to be his servants is a glorious thing. Psalm 19:14 has been a favorite verse of mine and one I turn to often in times of discouragement. It reminds me both of who I am to be in Him and that He is a firm foundation to stand upon and lean on and that He is my LORD, saviour and source of salvation!

    ReplyDelete