Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Consequences

Sin. Do we ever really consider the consequences of our sin? I know that right in the moment when sin is “crouching at our door” and we are feeling the onslaught of temptation it can be very difficult to consider what is going to happen if we give in. Ought not we do so? That's not really the point that I am trying to make though. In the midst of the moment, with emotions rising and our thinking smoggy, we are always aware of those kinds of things. What I want you think about right now, when you aren't in the moment of temptation, is how sin really does have consequences.
In our culture sin obviously does not really matter. In fact, the question raised would be, “What is sin? Is it really going to matter if I do this thing or not?” The fact of the matter is that God is Lord of all, including us. Being who He is, He can make rules and laws about how things ought to work. He has done that very thing for us. As Christians we ought to desire to walk according to those rules and laws. I am afraid that we too have been tainted by this mindset of not thinking there are consequences for our actions. I look back over my own life and see how my sin has had an effect not only on myself, but on those around me. It keeps us from knowing God and from being able to carry out His will. At the very least, when you sin against God, you are not loving your neighbor. The specifics of that though are sometimes different for other people. Interesting thought though, huh? It along with what James says about having broken just one part of the law we have broken all of it. Sometimes our sin costs us different things such as money, time, marriages, friendships, and all sorts of other things in this world, and it always costs us spiritually. Never is our sin unaccounted for.

God told the Israelites that the sin of the fathers would be counted down to the third and fourth generation. Can you imagine that? Maybe you are feeling the effects of that. That scares me. Sometimes I think that it's ok, as long as I don't get caught, I'm good, but it's not like that. God always knows. He always sees. There is actually some comfort in that though. Being held accountable for our sin is a good thing. It sure does stink though. Nobody likes to get caught doing the wrong thing. Especially when we know that we have been. I wonder if Hollywood knows that. I wonder if I know that. Have you ever taken the time to look over your life and see how your sin has had an impact on those around you? I've screwed with peoples lives so many times with my sin, that I want to know why God still lets me even exist. Sometimes I think it would be better if He just took me out so others don't have to deal with the consequences of my actions. It's bad enough that I have to deal with them, but others do too. It does not seem that fair does it? That is the way it is though. Sin has consequences. Our actions produce reactions. Thankfully in the midst of that sin, confusion, hurt and pain, when conviction comes from God we can rise up off our knees and go to Jesus. In His arms we find comfort.

I say this to you as a warning, but also more so as an encouragement. As Christians we need to understand and live sober minded. We know what sin is. Sometimes we don't count the cost of that sin. I am quite confident that if we took the time to look back and see how our sin has had an effect upon us and those around us we would weep with sorrow and beg God to forgive us and give us the strength to never do the same thing again. Sin...it'll get you every time. Jesus...He'll get sin every time.

Find hope in that.
 
by Justin Kantonen
originally posted May 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment