Monday, May 9, 2011

The Waiting Pain

Waiting can be such a pain, can't it?

When you're little, waiting to open those huge and beautifully wrapped Christmas presents is agonizing. When you are in high school, waiting to graduate and move on with your life can be such a bore. When you think you're ready to marry that certain someone, the special day can take an eternity to arrive. When you know a job change is on the horizon, enduring the current job and waiting for the change to occur can seem rather pointless. When you've got a wayward family member, waiting for them to return to the Lord can seem like an impossibility.

Waiting is tough. But throughout Scripture we are admonished to wait on the LORD, to rest in Him, to trust Him. One of my favorite verses is Psalm 37:7 - "Rest in the LORD and wait patiently for Him . . ." According to my Bible's footnotes, this verse could also read something like this: "Be still in the LORD and feed on His faithfulness . . ."

Feed on His faithfulness. Remember the countless times in days gone by when the LORD has proven Himself beyond faithful to you. Rest in that knowledge that He is indeed faithful and that fact will never, ever change.

"But as for me, I will watch expectantly for the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me. Do not rejoice over me, O my enemy. Though I fall, I will rise; though I dwell in darkness, the LORD is a light for me." - Micah 7:7-8

Waiting is painful. So painful that the only place we have to go is to our knees. So painful that we can't even get up. But when we're trusting in and waiting on the LORD, I don't think there is any better place for us to be.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah!
    Wow, what a post for where I am right now. God knew I needed this, so thanks for posting it! Micah 7:7 is my all time favorite Bible verse! God is good!

    ReplyDelete