Monday, August 26, 2013

Into the Air Conditioning

It's been really hot out lately. Really hot. But I probably don't need to tell you that. Despite the heat, my little man and I still spend much of our day outdoors: going on our morning walk, Zeke pushing his little umbrella stroller up and down the driveway, digging in the dirt, playing in little backyard pool, going to the park, visiting the neighbor's dog. When I'm in the heat, there are moments when I realize how incredibly warm it is outside; but a lot of the time, I get used to the heat. Until we come inside. And that initial, wonderful sensation of air conditioning reminds me of just how warm I am.

Last week, I wrote about how I felt like I was in this spiritual rut. It's like being outside when it's hot: there are moments when I realize just how stuck I am; but a lot of the time, it's easy to get used to being in that rut.

And this week, I've stepped into the air conditioning. 

I've been refreshed as I have slowly read through barely a chapter in Luke a day. Some mornings I've only gotten a handful of verses read before the little man is up and it's time to cuddle while reading books for 30 minutes. Other mornings, I've gotten an entire chapter read - but not just read, I've actually let the Word sink into my heart, let Him work. And it has been a blessing.

I can't tell you anything earth-shattering that I've read. I can't tell you that I've had any "I-never-realized-this-before" moments. I can't tell you that reading through the book of Luke now is like reading it through for the first time.

But I have been reminded. 

Reminded of what Jesus expects of His followers (Luke 6:32-35). Reminded that Jesus desires me to hear and to do (Luke 6:46,8:21). Reminded that Jesus doesn't always send us far away to tell others about the wonderful things that He has done for us (Luke 8:39).

And being reminded? It's good. I need reminders. Lots of reminders.

So next time I'm out in the heat, when I'm stuck in the rut - because, unfortunately, these air-conditioned, refreshing times never last forever - I'm going to remember to step out of the heat. Slow down a little bit. Get an extra nap. Sit down with the Word. Pray for the revived heart.

And always, always always cling to Him. Because He never changes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment