Thursday, April 4, 2013

To Be With Him in Paradise

Two weeks ago my grandpa passed away. Last week our beloved Dr. Monseth went to be with Jesus. Needless to say, death has been on my mind for the past few weeks. This seems fitting, seeing as we just celebrated Easter last weekend, where we were reminded of the death of our Savior on the cross. This would be a terribly depressing post if I were to stop there, but I cannot! You've all heard the story; you've all sung the songs; Christ the Lord is risen! Up from the grave He arose!

Through these deep times of hurt for myself and many others, I'm reminded that death is guaranteed. As Dr. Monseth once put it (He had a hilarious, dry sense of humor that could always make me laugh!), "There is a 1 in 1 chance that you will die. The odds are against you." Scripture speaks of death: Genesis 3:19 tells us that we will one day return to the dust that we came from, Romans 6:23 says that the payment for sin is death, and Ecclesiastes 3:2 plainly informs us that there is a time to die. No matter how much we live for today and plan our years, death is inevitable.

But hey, I'm not done. Because the whole deal with Christ suffering and dying on the cross was so that He could take on the punishment that we deserve for our sins. He took on the entirety of God's wrath for all mankind that dark, bleek day that we now call Good Friday. (Read about that here) He did that so that we wouldn't have to pay, because there is no forgiveness without the shedding of blood (Hebrews 9:22). The beauty of it all is that He didn't stay dead! He defeated death by breathing again after He had breathed His last. While we still face the reality of an earthly death where we will one day be 6-feet under, we no longer have to face the eternal death that is separation from God. Through the death and resurrection of Jesus, we now have access to life eternally with the Creator of the Universe!

While we on earth still mourn the loss of loved ones, there is such sweet joy in knowing there is more to the story for those who knew their Savior. I have never rejoiced more at the passing of someone than of Dr. Monseth's death, because I know that He is in glory with Jesus now, which he often spoke of in class and everywhere else that he went. He looked forward to that glorious day where He would meet his Maker with such reverence and awe, that I am only able to praise the Lord myself now knowing that he is with the Lord. Dr. Monseth knew and lived Paul's words in Philippians 3:20, "But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ." 

So today, whether you are mourning the loss of a loved one or not, be reminded that death is 100% guaranteed  As comfortable as we can get in this skin, we're all going to spend an infinite amount of time somewhere else. As we see our need for a Savior once we realize that we are not perfect (Take a look at the 10 Commandments: I don't pass the test at all.) He places His death over us and we are invited to spend eternity in paradise with Him. And in that, I find reason to rejoice!

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."
 --Philippians 1:21

2 comments:

  1. Wow Kaitlin this is so great! I am so encouraged by your words. I am sorry about Grandpa passing away also. I know exactly how you feel. Such good news that even thought we face earthly death we dont have to face eternal death any longer. Praise Jesus! Thank you for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lindsay! I'm so glad to have known your grandpa; he was such a blessing in my walk with the Lord. While I'm still sad about my grandpa and your's, I'm so glad they're with Jesus now!

      Delete