Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Word

Fact: It's really easy for me to read my Bible when I'm going through a struggle. I saturate myself in it as my hunger pains lead me to the nourishment that has the power to heal and restore. 

Confession: It's really easy for me to neglect my Bible when I'm not going through a struggle. I can go through life just fine on my own when I'm not going through a trial. 

Are any of you like me in this? I'll half-heartedly read a few verses because subconsciously I don't really need the comfort and aid that the Word offers. However, let's take a different approach to the Scriptures with what David and the author of Hebrews write: 

I have stored up your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.  -- Psalm 119:11

For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.  -- Hebrews 4:12

I know I talk about reading the Bible a lot: I spoke of it as food in relation to my eating-disorder and then last week I spoke of the truths that are proclaimed in the Word opposed to the emotions that lead us so often. This isn't to chastise you if you haven't been reading the Word, it's to encourage you. I probably need this post more than you do because I'm the one that leaves my Bible on the shelf when life is smooth sailing. And honestly, there will never be a day that I do not need the Word, because I'm always a sinner in need of God's grace. 

Let this be an encouragement to you: the Word of God does not go forth and return void (Isaiah 55:11) so let God speak to you today through the words by which He has spoken.



No comments:

Post a Comment