Monday, November 5, 2012

Wanting our Vote and Needing our Prayers

When I was younger, I loved getting to go into the voting booth with my mom and/or dad. There was something so cool about that private cubicle; something so mysterious about that large sheet of paper that held names I'd only heard of; something so empowering about those little dark circles next a few choice names that my parents let me see. No longer do I get to sneak into the voting booth with Mom or Dad; and unfortunately, here in western North Dakota, I don't even get to stride into a voting booth with my big adult self. Instead, I voted on an absentee ballot on my ordinary kitchen table; the same place that I eat pizza and laugh at my family.

I could say a lot about the election tomorrow. I could comment on how you're probably ready for the 2012 election to be over with. I could probably encourage you to use the blessed freedom we've been granted here in America.

But I'm not.

All I'm going to say tonight - all I am going to encourage you to do tonight - is to pray. Because really, truly, how often do we do that? We know that we should pray for those who are in authority over us. We know that authority has been given to us by God. We know in our hearts that praying for our government leaders - whether we like them or not - is important to do. But do we actually do it? I know I don't. What do you think would happen if we actually did?

"And what would happen if we prayed for those raised up to lead the way? Then maybe kids in school could pray and unborn children see light of day."
"First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority . . . " - 1 Timothy 2:1-2
Yes, vote. But after tomorrow, don't let all the hype about presidents, congressmen, and governors cease. Whoever is elected - whether you like them or not - come before the Lord daily on their behalf. These men and women want our votes . . . but they need our prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment