Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Night Walking

I like walking at night.  It's 10:36pm right now and I have just walked from my house to a dock on Lake Stevens in Lake Stevens, WA.  The moon is so bright tonight.  What I really enjoy about it though is the quietness, the coolness, and the stillness that it brings.  It reminds me of what rest is all about.  At night people are sleeping and recuperating from the day (most of them anyway) and it reminds me so much of what it means to be at rest in our hearts.

Peace is one of the fruits of the Spirit that comes when we abide in our relationship with Jesus.  Actually, I think that's it more than anything.  It reminds me of Jesus.  When Jesus enters into our hearts good things begin to happen.  We are changed from the inside out.  Fears get replaced with confidence.  Worry about tomorrow ceases to be a problem.  Idols that never satisfy are taken down from their altars and burned away with the garbage.  Heavy-to-bear religiosity is replaced with a load that is easy to carry.  Jesus comes in and he changes things.  Hate get's turned into forgiveness and love.  Restlessness, or discontentment, gets replaced with satisfaction in Jesus.  We become less concerned about ourselves and more concerned about others.  

Jesus is why I like walking at night.  It makes me feel close Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment