Monday, October 1, 2012

Filling the Silence

Today, I have no idea what to blog about. I suppose I could try and find some spiritual principle in the laundry that I just hung out to dry, the sunshine's warmth, or the sneeze my son just released. But that would simply be filling the silence, taking up space. And it would bring no encouragement or edification whatsoever. In fact, you probably wouldn't even bother reading this. I know I wouldn't.

Some days, I have no idea what to say. What words to say to someone who is hurting. What words encourage someone who is disheartened. What words to say as I approach the throne of grace. Instead, I can fill the silence with meaningless words; babblings that annoy rather than encourage. Grate on pain rather than show empathy. Bring awkwardness rather than comfort.

What is it about us that makes us want to fill the silence? Whether it be silence in conversation with another or silence in the presence of God - I feel like we as a people don't like silence. But it's good to be silent. To be still in the presence of God. To simply listen to those who are in pain. To let our actions say more than our words ever could.
"Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes 5:2  
"Everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger," - James 1:19 
"Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth." - 1 John 3:18
So on this day when I don't have much to say, I'm not going to say much more. May we faithful in being the hands and feet of Jesus even in the silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment