Monday, October 29, 2012

Alarm Clocks

I really don't like waking people up. In fact, if I made a "Top Ten" list of my least favorite things to do, waking up a soundly sleeping person would probably make the list. (Also on that list? Folding fitted bed sheets. What an awful thing! Why didn't my home-ec teacher show us how to do that?) When it comes to waking someone up, I feel like if they're sleeping - they're most likely enjoying it. And they probably need the sleep too. So shouldn't I just let them sleep? Even though church is starting in 20 minutes? Even though they asked me to wake them up? Ugh. I cringe just thinking about having to wake someone up. 

Unfortunately, I don't think my disdain for waking people up is limited to physical slumber. It's way to easy for me to just let those around me spiritually sleep as well. 

All around me, there are people living in sin. They might not be "major" sinners - like murderers, adulterers, or criminal masterminds. But just ordinary sinners. People who were born sinful. People who break the law by speeding. People who are prideful of their good deeds. People who gossip about their church family. People who, without Jesus, are destined for an eternity in hell. Spiritually asleep. 

And what do I do about it? In all honesty, I'm silent far too often. Why? If I truly grasped the reality of hell, the intensity of Jesus' love and suffering on behalf of all mankind and my responsibility as a believer in Jesus - wouldn't I share? Shouldn't I share? 
"And have mercy on some, who are doubting; save others, snatching them out of the fire; and on some have mercy with fear . . ." - Jude 22-23 (emphasis mine)
"'Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations' . . . 'A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another' . . . 'If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.'" - Matthew 28:19; John 13:34, 14:15
If you came to our home for a visit, spent the night in our luxurious guest bed and uttered the words, "If I'm not up by [name time], would you wake me up?" - I'd cringe. I'd frown. And I'd hate to do it. But if sometime during the night, our house caught on fire and you slept soundly during the chaos - I'd wake you up. I wouldn't let you suffer in our burning house. So, shouldn't I do the same thing for someone who is headed for an eternity in hell? 

I may never like being an alarm clock for someone getting their physical rest. But I pray the Lord would give me the courage I need to be an alarm clock for those in spiritual slumber. Because if I don't give them warning, their fate is going to be much worse than being late for church.

No comments:

Post a Comment