Saturday, August 25, 2012

You Could Be Sick... and Not Know.

"And the Pharisees and their scribes grumbled at his disciples, saying, "Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?" 

The Pharisees were religious leaders who strictly observed Old Testament law and therefore believed themselves to be righteous. Yet, Jesus' judgment of them was harsh: "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!... you outwardly appear righteous to others, but within you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness." (Matthew 23) The Pharisees were sinful, quite sinful, but they didn't see it. Obviously. Here they are pointing fingers, asking the disciples "Why in world are you hanging out with sinners?"

Jesus could've responded, "Ok Mr. Pharisee, who do you think I should eat with? You?! You're a sinner too you know... dummy." But Jesus' response to this pointed question is actually quite shocking. He answered them, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick." He didn't point out to the Pharisees that they too (like all Pharisees, Publicans, Samaritans, Jews, etc) were sinners in need of the Physician. Why?

Seeing a physician means medications, needles, scalpels, wound debridement, bone-setting, etc. A healthy person has no need of such interventions. Only those aware of a terminal illness would willingly, and humbly, subject themselves to a physician's care.

The Pharisees were blind to their sin. Jesus wasn't going to instruct a fool or cast His pearls before swine (Prov 16:22, Mt. 7:6) by wasting His time with them. Contrarily, could it be that the tax collectors/sinners were aware of their need for healing? Could it be that Jesus sought to spend time with those whose hearts He knew would respond to His love. This observation leads me to two questions:

1) Am I constantly aware of my need for The Great Physician? Or do I, like the Pharisees, measure myself based on my works instead of my heart?
2) Do I spend time with 'sinners'--those who's hearts are in tune with their need for a Healer? Both in friendships and in witnessing/mentoring, these are to whom I am called.

Dear Lord,
Show me my sin today and every day. Open the eyes of my heart, that I may see my life next to your holy standard. Heal me. I look to you alone for redemption and sanctification. Remove my sin. Make me holy, like you. Lead me to sinners. May my closest friends be those who see their need for the Physician. May my heart be to share you with 'sinners', not blind fools. 

No comments:

Post a Comment