Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Painful Goodness

In less than half an hour, I will be taking 10-week old Ezekiel in for his 2 month immunizations. Three shots and one oral vaccine. I have a gross feeling in the pit of my stomach and am definitely NOT looking forward to seeing my little baby boy cry out in pain. Honestly, I'd rather not do this.

But I know it's for his own good. I'd rather see him in pain for a little while than suffer the consequences of a full-blown case of polio or hepatitis B. I'm learning that sometimes pain can be for my son's benefit.

As I think about my trepidation regarding Ezekiel's shots, I am reminded of what is written in Scripture:
"He disciplines us for our good, so that we may share in His holiness. All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness." - Hebrews 12:10-11
We all face battles, struggles, trials. The Lord sends them for a purpose - for our good, so that we may share in His holiness. But do you think it pains Him to send those battles, struggles and trials our way? Do you think that as we cry out in pain, the heart of God is aching for us?

Just as I plan to cuddle with and comfort Ezekiel as much as possible during his time of pain, so too the Lord promises to comfort us during our times of pain.
"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." - Matthew 11:28 
". . . Casting all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." - 1 Peter 5:7
Remember, although the LORD sends pain our way - He does it for our good. And He does not leave us alone to deal with it. He's with us every step of the way. Praise the LORD for that wonderful truth!

(And if you read this before 10:00 am, please pray for Zeke and I.)

No comments:

Post a Comment