Saturday, June 23, 2012

Holy Conversation

"But as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct," I Pet. 1:15 (ESV)





Holy in all manner of conversation...holy in all manner of conversation... holy in all manner of conversation. ("Conversation" here also meaning, 'manner of life, conduct, behavior'.)


What a tall order! And certainly one I fail at hourly. Why would God call Christians to such a high, such a perfect standard? The text answers this question in the very next verse-"Because it is written, be ye holy; for I am holy." We must be, because He is.


And yet, man cannot accomplish such holy living. It is impossible. Paul, in Romans 7:18 agrees, "For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out."


We cannot fulfill the perfection God demands. But Christ has provided a way! Himself. He is our righteousness. "I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me." If Christ, the embodiment of holiness, lives in us, then we can indeed be holy! He is our holiness.


Dear Christian, what area of your life have you not crucified with Him? Put to death self that He might LIVE in every area of your life? Only then, only as He lives in every dark place, will you be 'holy in all manner of conversation'.

No comments:

Post a Comment