Thursday, May 17, 2012

Whom Are You Seeking?

I cannot believe this day has come. I waited my whole life for these two years, and they're quickly coming to a close. My classes have finished, finals are over, and packing tubs are ready to be filled. I'm graduating in two days. I've been in denial about it for weeks, but the end is near.

I hate goodbyes.

As I was flipping through my Bible the other day, I found a verse that I had underlined in the Book of John. It says, "Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?" (20:15).

Granted, I'm taking this verse out of context (which is VERY bad and I was taught at Bible School never to do such a thing!) but God used this verse to speak to me recently. With all the "last times" around here and sad faces as us seniors realize it really is over, it's easy to get teary eyed. But in the midst of all the sadness, I heard God asking, "Whom are you seeking Katelyn?"

Throughout Scripture, and especially in the minor prophets, time and time again the phrase, "Seek the LORD" is found. The people of Israel were called to "seek the LORD" and turn from all other distractions. There are different words used in Hebrew and Greek for the word "seek", so I decided to do a little search on what they each mean. However, I recognize not all are as fond of word studies as I am, so I won't share all of my findings :)

The one that surprised me the most was Amos 5:4, " For thus says the LORD to the house of Israel: “Seek me and live". The Hebrew word for "seek" here means "to resort to". Further looking into the meaning of "resort" it says, "the only option". That struck me as pretty cool!

We, like Israel, have the same call. God is calling us to seek Him--as our only option. We have so many things that take our attention, and not all of them are bad in of themselves. Think of family, friends, jobs, etc, that God delights in blessings us with. However, we are called to "seek the LORD." To keep our focus on Him. To have Him as the only option.

So in the midst of whatever situation you find yourself in at the moment, God is calling each of us to seek Him. To look to Jesus only. Whether times be good or bad, we are called to seek the Lord. Jeremiah 29:13 says "You will seek Me and find Me, when you seek Me with all your heart."--God doesn't hide! Seek Him today, and He promises to reveal Himself to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment