Monday, April 9, 2012

The Hiccups

Hiccups are an interesting phenomenon, aren't they? All of a sudden, normal breathing is rudely interrupted by a quick gasp for air - something you definitely weren't expecting only moments before. Sometimes, hiccups can be entertaining: like when I feel my 35-week old in the womb son rhythmically hiccuping. Other times, hiccups can be painful: like when you hiccup so hard it seems to tear off a layer from the back of your throat. And other times (perhaps most of the time), hiccups are just plain annoying: like when they won't ever go away.

Have you ever experienced a "life hiccup"? All of a sudden, normal life is shockingly interrupted by an abrupt event -something you definitely weren't expecting only moments prior. Jordan and I experienced one of these "life hiccups" the other day as a routine baby appointment turned into an all-day affair filled with ultrasounds, electronic monitoring of our baby, and lots of waiting to talk with the doctor. Although we looked to the Lord individually and together for our strength, peace, and comfort - there were still moments of uncertainty that were frightening and overwhelming. We were definitely not expecting the events of that day to occur; this hiccup took us by surprise.

These "life hiccups" remind me of truths I've found recently as I've been reading through the book of Isaiah. Although we maybe taken aback by a hiccup, the LORD never is. He knows exactly what is going to happen; He is never surprised:
"'Surely, just as I have intended so it has happened, and just as I have planned, so it will stand . . . For the LORD of hosts has planned, and who can frustrate it?'" - Isaiah 14: 24, 27
Just as hiccups can sometimes be painful, so too our "life hiccups" can bring pain. But the pain never comes without a purpose:
"The LORD will strike Egypt, striking but healing; so they will return to the LORD, and He will respond to them and will heal them." - Isaiah 19:22
I am so grateful that the LORD not only has a plan and knows what hiccups are going to come our way but is also with us during those painful, frightening hiccups:
"Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend to heaven, You are there; if I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there. If I take the wings of the dawn, if I dwell in the remotest part of the sea, even there Your hand will lead me, and Your right hand will lay hold of me." - Psalm 139:7-10  
". . . He Himself has said, 'I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you.'" - Hebrews 13:5
"When my heart was embittered and I was pierced within, then I was senseless and ignorant; I was like a beast before You. Nevertheless I am continually with You; You have taken hold of my right hand. With Your counsel You will guide me, and afterward receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. For, behold, those who are far from You will perish; You have destroyed all those who are unfaithful to You. But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, that I may tell of all Your works." - Psalm 73:21-28
So next time you're caught off guard by a hiccup, remember Who is in charge. Remember that He always has a plan. And rejoice in the wonderful truth that He is near -- no  matter what the hiccup may hold.

(In case you're worried: baby Langness is doing just great! The doctors were a bit surprised/concerned by how small he is, but everything has checked out fine. Praise the Lord!)

No comments:

Post a Comment