Monday, January 16, 2012

Troubled, Distressed & Burdened . . . But Never Alone

Does it ever seem to you like Satan is winning? That the horrible, difficult, and tragic circumstance of this world seem to overtake those that are joyful, encouraging, and positive? Tonight, as I read through a list of prayer requests from my home church and began thinking over the many events this past week that demand urgent, intense prayer, I began to feel this way. Many loved ones in the body of Christ have cancer. Grandparents age - sometimes with pain. Family members are walking in rebellion and heartbreaking sin. Life is full of trouble.

And really, this shouldn't surprise us. Jesus promised His disciples - and us - that we would face troubles. But we only have to look to scripture to remember that we are not alone in the midst of these difficulties and distresses:
"'In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world." - John 16:33 
"'Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.'" - Matthew 11:28-30 
". . . He Himself has said, 'I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you,' so that we may confidently say, 'The LORD is my helper, I will not be afraid. What will man do to me?'" - Hebrews 13:5-6 
"The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." - Psalm 34:18 
"'Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you. Surely I will uphold you by My righteous right hand.'" - Isaiah 41:10
Whatever difficult circumstance you find yourself in, remember the wonderful truth that you are not alone. We have the God of the universe on our side - and last time I checked, He defeated Satan at the cross!



"There will be storms in this life, but I know You will overcome; You have overcome."

3 comments:

  1. Thank you thank you thank you Sarah! Needed this today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are very encouraging words and a great song...thanks Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I needed to hear the words the Lord is near and that I am never alone. Thank you so much for writing these words and letting the Lord speak through you!

    ReplyDelete