Friday, January 27, 2012

saturate well

This past week, I have been challenged with an example of Jesus in mark 2:13-17. I think many times it is easy to get caught up in the “Christian life” that this is put on the back burner. In these verses, it tells about Jesus calling Levi (Matthew), the tax collector, to be His disciple. And then later, Levi invites Jesus into His house with other tax collectors and disreputable sinners, which Jesus and His disciples did accept. Jesus and His disciples are hanging out with the “outcasts.” Jesus Himself said that He didn’t come for those who “think they are righteous, but for those who know they are sinners.” So, if as a disciple of Jesus I am to imitate Him and act like Him, then I really need to think about that statement.

We had the privilege of having Dr. Don Bierle at our church here in Mesa this week to do a seminar on “Thinking like Jesus.” His main statement was “Thinking like Jesus so we act like Him,” as He talked about the importance of saturating ourselves in the Word in order that we may think like Jesus in order that we may act like Him. How many times have we tried to do the “Christian” thing, but fail? How many times has that happened, and we later realize that we tried to do it by our own strength and ability? See, God wants me to be like Jesus, but how can I be like Jesus without learning to Think like Him, and how can I learn to think like Him without knowing Him, and how can I know Him without saturating myself with the Word of God. It can’t be done. We may try, but it can’t. My life is an example of that truth.

So in combining the Bible Study and Seminar teachings, I have realized that I am to not shut out those who are not as “righteous” as I am – really, I am worse that those labeled as “sinners” in today’s qualifications. But, everyone needs Jesus. In working in a church, it is easy to minister to those who know Christ – they may need encouragement, but they already know Him. We tend to avoid those who sleep around, drink, gamble, smoke, etc. But if we avoid them, how can we let them know that the Kingdom of God is for them as well? If we avoid them, how can they know that Jesus loves them – for we are to be the picture of Christ to the world, and I don’t see anywhere in the Bible where it says love is to avoid. We do need to guard our hearts for sure, but when we saturate our minds with the Word of God, the Spirit will guide us. Will we be willing to go where God leads? And will we be saturated with the word enough that we are thinking like Jesus as we go, and as a result acting like Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment