Sunday, January 8, 2012

Drink

The sermon was nearly half finished. A loud thump at the back of the room caught my attention. Someone called out for a doctor. My nursing instinct took over and surge of adrenaline sent me to the back of the church. A young, pregnant woman was on the floor, surrounded by medical professionals of all specialties. The most obvious initial response was to treat for low blood sugar. Another member and I went in search of a sugary drink--juice, coke, anything to increase her glucose. After searching various rooms and asking numerous people (and after what seemed an eternity) we finally secured some juice. The sweet liquid was truly life-giving. The unconscious woman awoke almost instantly.

I crept back to my seat. As the service concluded, the pastor made his way to the table before him. White napkins cloaked the ‘body’ and ‘blood’ of our Savior. As ‘the cup’ made it’s way down my row, I could hardly help but chuckle to myself. It was right there, the whole time. The life-giving-giving substance we’d been searching for--the fruit of the vine. There it was--right in front of us! On our Lord’s table.

I wondered to myself, how often do I find myself in desperate and searching. What non-satisfying places do I turn to? When all along, what I needed was directly in front of my face--Jesus.

Christ’s blood purchased us life. We need only allow the cup--His blood--to do it’s miraculous, redeeming work. “And [Christ] took a cup...and gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.” Matthew 26:28

How easily we forget that the Power in the Blood doesn't stop with salvation! Following redemption, His blood continues its daily, sanctifying work in our life. In Jesus' blood we find hope, peace, joy, and strength to meet any trial, struggle, burden, or sorrow. “Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him.” John 6:52-56

Look no further--the table is spread before you. Come to Jesus. Drink and be saved. Drink deeply and abide in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment