Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Give Thanks

The Bible is full of verses with the phrase "Give Thanks," (many of these verses are found in Psalm) and are in the context of giving thanks to God for who is is or what He has done.
1 Chronicles 16:8 "Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done."
Psalm 35:18 "I will give you thanks in the great assembly; among throngs of people I will praise you."
2 Corinthians 2:14 "But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him."
Colossians 3:17 "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
As I drove to church on Sunday, to the West of me the sky was dark grey and cloudy. In contrast to the East the sky was blue and the sun was shinning. As I looked to the West towards that cloudy dark grey sky the sun coming from the East lit up all the buildings and trees. The colors were brilliant. The building were bright white and the leaves on the trees were vibrant yellow, orange and reds. It was truly stunning. It made me catch my breath and in that moment I marveled in the design of God the creator, in His creation and in who He is.


When I begin to think of all the things I have to be thankful for I am overwhelmed. I am thankful for a God that gives us moments in our lives to glimpse and glory in Him. I am thankful for an amazing, loving and supporting family. I am thankful for awesome friends who love me, bless me and encourage me. I am thankful for my job. I am thankful for a home and food to eat every day. I am thankful for clothes to wear. I am thankful for my car. I am thankful for a church I can attend freely where the Word of God is preach strongly. I am thankful for my country. I am thankful for each member of the military who serves sacrificially and bravely so that I can enjoy the freedoms that I have. I am thankful thankful thankful! But even if I was stripped of all earthly gain, possessions, and comforts I would still have cause to give thanks because I have the ultimate gift to be thankful for. I have a holy God who loves me so dearly He suffered His son to die for my Salvation. And so do you.


Have a blessed and happy Thanksgiving!
~Naomi

No comments:

Post a Comment