Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Contentment - Part Three

Part 3: Thankfulness
Contentment cannot come without a grateful spirit. 
Philippians 4:12 "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."
1 Timothy 6:6-10 "But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs."
1 Thessalonians 5:18 "give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus."
Lately I have really been struck with how much I have. A year and a half ago when I moved I consolidated my belongings down to a car load and a car lop carrier. It's amazing how many things I was able to determine I did not "need" when I couldn't take them with me. Contentment is never about having what we want, but rather being grateful with what we have. Even when at times we may have nothing. 
Hebrews 13:5 speaks to this, "Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”
Of all the things we have in this life we have the most important thing, Christ. 


Thankfulness is key to learning contentment.

No comments:

Post a Comment