Monday, September 26, 2011

Afraid of the Dark

I don’t know about you, but I’m not a huge fan of the dark. I never really have been. Ever since I was young, I had a nightlight in my bedroom. As a 23 year old, I still have a nightlight in our bedroom – and when I’m home alone, lights are on throughout the house.

One of the problems with not liking the dark (I guess I could just flat-out say it in humility – being scared of the dark) comes in the area of my morning walks. It’s taking longer each day for the sun to illumine the earth; the problem rests in my desire to walk before morning activities, such as church. The other morning, I came up with a solution to my fear: a flashlight. Although the flashlight probably made me no safer than I would have been in the dark, I felt secure knowing there was a light to illumine my path and bring a small patch of light to the darkness around me.

As I rejoiced over the ingenious idea of walking with a flashlight, I was reminded about the true Light – Jesus Christ.: “This is the message that we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all.” (1 John 1:5)

Not only has Jesus taken away the darkness of my sin, but He lights my lamp in the midst of my fears – whether it be the fear of the dark, the fear of uncertainty, or the fear of a certain future. The LORD is indeed the Light – but He does just send a spotlight down upon us, but He walks with us throughout those fears. What a great God we serve – One who is in control of the entire universe, yet cares about us individually. Praise Him!

“For You light my lamp; the LORD my God illumines my darkness.” – Psalm 18:28

No comments:

Post a Comment