Thursday, June 30, 2011

Memories in my Memory

I'm fascinated by memories.

When I say memories I'm talking about two things.

First, I mean memories as in the things that some people have and some people don't. Your brother might have a great memory but your memory isn't quite as sharp. This is sort of like a journal in your head - for one person it's got pages packed with details and another person has a couple notes here and there while someone else has stacks of paper scattered everywhere in no sort of order. Our memories are all different.

Secondly, memories are specific events stored within each individual's memory. That sounds like something a computer geek would say - but this is more human. Everyone remembers different parts of life differently. Your mom remembers your birth differently than your dad, but each of them has the memory. His and her recollection of that first kiss is a distinctly unique memory. Matt, Mark, Luke, and John all have slightly different yet similar memories of Jesus when He walked the Earth.

So, each of us have memories stored in our own memory. It is from our memory that we pull these memories from the past into our present moment to make some sense of life. More often than not, music triggers my memory. When certain songs enter my ear and cruise into my brain, my memory starts to get all nostalgic and have a party.

Today, the 30th day in the month of June, I read the 30th chapter in the book of Psalms. In the fifth verse, the phrase "but joy comes with the morning" was read and memories began to dance in my memory.
_________________________________________________

My beard was gone.
My hair was long.
My voice changed more frequently than my underwear.
My dreams were big and my God seemed to keep getting bigger.
_________________________________________________

My memory has stored the memory of first hearing the song "Trading My Sorrows" at the FLY convention years ago. Today, almost ten years later, I read one line in the Bible and God brought me back the the first time I heard one song sung. My memory has preserved those intimate moments with my Savior, singing with hundreds of other students, and being shaped into the person God has created me to be today.

The lyrics of this song say:

_________________________________________________

I'm trading my sorrows
I'm trading my shame
I'm laying them down for the joy of the Lord

I'm trading my sickness
I'm trading my pain
I'm laying them down for the joy of the Lord

Yes Lord, Yes Lord, yes yes Lord
Yes, Lord, Yes Lord, yes yes Lord Amen!

I am pressed but not crushed persecuted not abandoned struck down but not destroyed I am blessed beyond the curse for his promise will endure his joy is gonna be my strength

though the sorrow may last for the night His joy comes with the morning

_________________________________________________

In the years it took for my hair to shift from the top of my head to my face, I have made a lot of memories. Countless times, these memories have caused me to trade my sorrows and shame in for the joy of the Lord. As often as I screw up, Jesus is always there for me ready to restore my broken heart with His joy. The curse of sin is always in front of my face, but I can trust in His promise of forgiveness.

Wherever you're at in life right, rest in the fact that Christ died and rose again for YOU. Trading your shame and sorrow for His joy will be the best memory ever stored in your memory.

1 comment:

  1. Many times I wonder where my joy has gone, but then I realize it is only when I am focused on my problems, concerns, inabilities...on myself really, that I have to wonder why I am lacking joy. Only when I look to Jesus, when I keep my eyes on Him and remember His promises, then I can trade my sorrows, shame, sickness, pain for His joy. If only it were all easy to remember and easier to do, but that's when we are to rely on God, right? Thanks for the post Tim, and sharing that great song!

    ReplyDelete