Monday, March 28, 2011

I Just Wanna Be A Sheep

"What does the bear say? What does the cat say? What does the dog say?"

These are all frequent questions these days as my wonderful 17 month old nanny girl now loves animal sounds. The other day she pointed to me, and I thought, "What does Katelyn say?" As silly as it sounds, Kate says "Bah". That is my word! It shows excitement, frustration, sorrow...just about anything. If my emotions are too much and words just don't seem like enough, I say "Bah". Just ask any of my friends, they will agree!

Back to the animal sounds, I'm not the only one that says "bah". My little girl also knows that sheep say "bah", so I must be a sheep. The Bible says something about that too!

I've been reading up about sheep, and it is known that they are one of the most intellectually challenged animals known to man. And the Bible repeatedly compares us to sheep, take a look:

"Then he led out his people like sheep and guided them in the wilderness like a flock." --Psalm 78:52
"Know that the LORD, he is God!It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture." -- Psalm 100:3

"I have gone astray like a lost
sheep; seek your servant,for I do not forget your commandments." --Psalm 119:176
Sheep are dumb, they need a shepherd to lead and guide them. And we are called sheep; therefore, we need One to lead and guide us. Psalm 23 is a well known passage that speaks of the Lord as our shepherd, especially the first two verses:
"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters"
He will lead, and He gives us peace. We have the greatest Shepherd-- One who will never leave in the face of danger, One who knows His flock, One who cares for each sheep in a deep and personal way, and One who will leave the 99 to find the 1 who tends to stray (Matthew 18). Friends, run to Him. HE is your shepherd.

No comments:

Post a Comment