Thursday, March 31, 2011

Corduroy Pants

Corduroy pants make a lot of noise- especially while walking through silent libraries. It's hard to describe the sound - but when heard - it is obviously two pant legs making a connection while movement is taking somebody to a different place.

Just like the sound made by corduroy pants, relationships need movement, a connection, and noise in the midst of silence.

Three years ago right now, I was beginning to see the end of an era. I had just spent the winter in Canada skiing, searching, and fortunately, finding. As I was getting ready to move back home, I knew that my relationship with Jesus was moving too.

We had made new friends together. As we were standing on top of mountains, we smiled in the sunshine, and skied fun lines. In a way like never before, we had a connection. I spent countless with Jesus, seeking out the next adventure and waiting for the perfect weather system to move through my midst and during silence, I made noise.

I talked to God and tried to listen to Him. It seemed like that "still small voice" was still small and getting smaller. I'm a guy, so I don't like to describe my conversations with the Almighty One as "crying out" - but that's just what I had to do. My incoherent ramblings and worried wondering about my future made a lot of noise.

Inside my head, thoughts were running wild like squirrels in maple trees. Deep in my gut, it seemed like butterflies were having an air show - or maybe I just ate too much bacon for breakfast. When people asked "What's next?" I stumbled over my words like a drunk walking on marbles. But this was all supposed to be happening.

After making my noise, I had to wait for the connection. It didn't happen fast. Three months later, I knew the movement that had to take place. With Jesus helping me with our relationship, he listened to my cries, made noise in response, and we continued to move forward.

Life today continues moving from place to place . In different ways, connections are continue to be made. And I am still making noise in silence - like corduroy pants in a library.

While Jesus and I walk together, I reflect on the words of King Dave :

In you, O LORD, do I take refuge;
let me never be put to shame;
in your righteousness deliver me!
Incline your ear to me;
rescue me speedily!
Be a rock of refuge for me,
a strong fortress to save me!

For you are my rock and my fortress;
and for your name's sake you lead me and guide me;
you take me out of the net they have hidden for me,
for you are my refuge.
Into your hand I commit my spirit;
you have redeemed me, O LORD, faithful God.
Psalm 31:1-5 ESV
(emphasis added by me)

No comments:

Post a Comment