Monday, February 28, 2011

Eager

A couple of months ago, the Lord struck with the reality of His soon-coming return. Before this revelation, I knew in my head that Jesus was going to come back for believers someday; but my heart wasn't quite ready for it. However, He's been at work in me and I am so excited for His return! "You can have all this world, just give me Jesus!"

But sometimes, I wonder if I'm too eager. Can you be too eager for Jesus to return? Maybe I'm not necessarily too eager for His return - but too eager to give up the work that He has given us while we're here on earth. I am looking forward to His return so much, it's easy for me take my eyes of the ministry and reason He has me here; the reason He hasn't come back yet (2 Peter 3:9). I was encouraged by the words of Paul to the Philippian church this last week:

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake." (Philippians 1:21-24)
I'm struggling to balance things as Paul did . . . to so desire to be with the Lord, to see Him coming in His glory - and yet diligently being about the work that He has called me to. I pray that I will be eagerly awaiting His return, yet making the most of the opportunities that He has given me (Ephesians 5:15-16).

No comments:

Post a Comment