Monday, February 21, 2011

Caught Up in Plans

This last weekend, our youth group took a trip to Red Lodge, Montana. Being the wife of the youth director, I was put in charge of perhaps one of the most important aspects of our weekend away: the food. Six teenage boys and two grown men love to eat; especially when they have been skiing or snowboarding down mountains all day long. So, I did my best to be prepared for their growling stomachs. Fixings for chocolate chip cookies and lasagna, fruit, veggies, snacks of all kinds, hot chocolate mix . . . Over and over I went through the lists in my mind. Have I forgotten anything?

After a few last hectic moments of throwing everything together and double-checking everything on Friday morning, I was ready to go. Jordan and I loaded up our car, drove up to church, and I began unloading everything into the suburban. In my haste and excitement, however, I forgot a critical aspect to our weekend . . . and didn't realize it until hours and miles away from Beulah, ND. No, it wasn't a box of cereal or bag of chips, or even the cottage cheese for the lasagna. It was our bag; the bag that contained nearly everything both Jordan and I needed for that weekend. Boy, did I feel lower than dirt when that realization struck.

As I pondered the whole situation, I couldn't help but think of Mary and Martha. A story I'm sure you're familiar with; but, for kicks and giggles, here it is as a fresh reminder for you:

"Now as they were traveling along, He entered a village; and a woman named Martha welcomed Him into her home. She had a sister called Mary, who was seated at the Lord's feet, listening to His word. But Martha was distracted with all her preparations; and she came up to Him and said, 'Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to do all the serving alone? Then tell her to help me.' But the Lord answered and said to her, 'Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.'" (Luke 10:38-42)
It's so easy for us to get caught up in things, isn't it? Even good things: like making sure six teenage boys and two grown men have enough to eat for the weekend or even better, serving the Lord through teaching Sunday School, youth group, visiting the elderly . . . But sometimes, our eyes get off focus, don't they? We forget the reason that we are serving; the reason the Lord deserves our service. Sometimes, we've just got to set it all aside - literally and substantially - and listen to the Lord. Simply sit in His presence, listening to His Word.

Have you done that lately? What about today? Marting Luther once said: "Tomorrow I plan to work from early until late. In fact, I have so much to do that I shall spend the first three hours in prayer." May we be found faithfully sitting at our Savior's feet, soaking in all that He has to say to us; for it is truly what is good.

3 comments:

  1. This is great. Super solid stuff Sarah. But, my question is: Did you get to ski with your Savior?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her hubbie got to tumble down the mountains with his Savior, but not her. We were well fed though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this Sarah! Very timely.

    ReplyDelete