Thursday, January 20, 2011

Seize Tomorrow Today

A productive day makes me feel strong. Efficiently using my time is like running for miles, maintaining the pace I've been training to sustain for the big race. For the longest time it seemed like my feeble attempts at organizing my life were not making any difference. A dude with less hair than me, a red goatee, and great taste in music that was produced during the years near 1990 played an integral part in developing my ability to effectively and efficiently use the time God gives me. Jason Holt taught me to "SuRF" my schedule. The first time I went surfing, was salty and I wore my "Daisy Dukes," but Jason had me essentially writing onto a blank calendar the ways in which I spend my time. First and foremost, where's my Sabbath? Second, write down all of my Responsibilities. Last but not least, fill in Friends and Family. If it doesn't all fit within the week, allowing time for sleep every day, something(s) have to be cut. As I spend my days juggling school, ministry, friends, and my own time, I have hope for the future when a day is lived well. In the Bible, Jesus talks a lot about hope.

Jesus had a group of friends, less-commonly referred to as Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. Now, Marky Mark was a writer, who found great joy in recording in a very detailed way, what Jesus did with his days on earth. In the thirteenth chapter of his book, Marky Mark basically quoted Jesus talking about His second coming. This is some exciting stuff here. Jesus boils it all down to the fact that only God the Father knows the day or the hour that Jesus will return to earth for the second time. But, with that being said, Jesus tells his followers to pay attention, stay awake, talking and listening to God.

As frightening as some of the details may be, Jesus' second coming is more joyful, more exciting, and something more to hope for than any of earth's pleasures. Eternity will be spent in perfection, with new bodies, at the feet of Jesus! This all leads me to one simple phrase: Carpe MaƱana Today. Literally translated, this means Seize Tomorrow Today. Everyday life on earth sure is swell, but by seizing tomorrow today, I look forward to the joyful day when Christ comes back to earth and we ride up into the clouds to spend forever together.

No comments:

Post a Comment