Thursday, January 27, 2011

Love Limited by Labels?

PREFACE - In no way is this post meant to be taken as an attack on any individual or group of individuals. The sole reason for writing this comes from my interaction with, study of, and continual return to life changing truth found in God's Word. It is through His word that the Holy Spirit communicates with those who believe in Christ, crucified, buried, and resurrected; those the world calls "Christians." These are thoughts in process, being molded by my Maker. -PREFACE

As a youngster I grew up attending the same church my parents attended. I found this building familiar. The people I interacted with at this church became like family. Reminiscing on my formative years would be incomplete without some mention of this local church body. It was through the countless hours sitting on pews, couches, and chairs, listening to preaching and teaching that God began His transformational work in my heart. Primarily, three men in this building shared God's word with me; Steve, Paul, and Matt. Three distinctly different men, shared one distinctly definitive message. My sin separates me from God, earning me death. God lived on earth without sin, died on a cross for my sin, and rose victorious from the dead three days later. This message is often referred to as the Gospel, Good News, or God's Word. Without doubt, it is soul saving and life changing.

This church I grew up attending is called Faith Church (AFLC) and is in Kalispell, MT. It's the part in parentheses that God has me thinking about lately. After attending the Association Free Lutheran Bible School, I now have a much better understanding of the definitive letters found within the parentheses. While my life continues to be transformed by God, I see fellow believers struggling to live the life they believe God is calling them to live. That life seems confined by the parentheses. The parentheses hold on to and remember our past, for better or worse. It is human differences labeling our transformed realities.

Within the segment of the body of Christ that holds to the teachings of Mr. Martin Luther, there are an overwhelming number of divisions. A quick search on the internet finds these labels attached to different Lutheran churches in North America: AALC, ACLC, ALCA, AFLC, ALCC, ARC, CALC, CLA, CLBA, CLC, CLC, Eielsen Synod, ELCA, ELCIC, ELCM, ELDoNA, ELF, ELS, EELK, GCEPC, ILC, ILF, LLC, LELCA, LCC, LCCF, LCMC, LCMS, LMS-USA, LCR, LCS, NALC, OLCC, Protestant Conference, ULMA, WELS, WCLA.

These are only the folks following Jesus who hold to Luther's teachings. What about our brothers and sisters following Jesus who call themselves Baptists, Presbyterians, Quakers, Episcopalians, Anglicans, Catholics, Greek Orthodox, or Protestants? How many labels are attached within these camps of Christian thought? A seemingly endless study of what is dividing Christians could be done. At this point, you may be wondering: What is he getting at?

During my third year of post secondary education, I found myself in Plymouth, MN studying the Bible. Days in the library were spent digging into the depths of what Steve, Paul, and Matt taught me years before. Conversations with teachers, friends, and family confirmed my conviction: my life was changed by Jesus Christ.

I did not convert to a label found in the parentheses on the sign at my church. My actions are not filtered the guiding principles of a denomination. It is God in me that has shaped my identity. During my studies, the book of John has shaped my life significantly. In the thirteenth chapter, Jesus tells his followers "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." This is why I am writing today.

Going into the world to make disciples of Jesus Christ is only possible by loving the way that Jesus loved us. Unconditionally showing unconditional love in a conditional world is how Jesus loved all people. Too often our focus is on what differences we find amongst those who are most like us; those who are following Jesus with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength. By labeling our lives, we limit our love.

God looks at my life through a lens that is tinted red by the blood of Jesus. He sees a sinner saved by faith in Him. On the guest list to get into His party, the name Timothy James Herset (with nothing in parentheses) is written.

2 comments: