Tuesday, January 11, 2011

He Knows Me

"For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb." Psalm 139:13

The Lord told me to buy a pair of shoes the other day. You may think that sounds ridiculous, but it's the truth.

He's been teaching me a lot about what it means to be His beloved (as we all are) and so He sent me on this quest to buy a pair of shoes. I even knew just where to go, but yesterday I didn't go where He wanted me to go and didn't find anything that was even close to what I was looking for. Today though I went where I knew I needed to go. The whole time I was there, as well as yesterday, I had this idea in my mind of what the perfect pair of shoes would look like for me. As I looked though I sensed the Lord was telling me to be open to something else that He might bring along. I was like "Ok, but who knows what that will be."

Anyway, I saw this pair of shoes and as soon as I saw them I was like, "Those are pretty cool, I'm going to try those on." Now they weren't exactly like the pair of shoes that I had in mind but they ended up fitting well and were a really good deal. I put them back on the shelf and the Lord said, "Be open to something else." I picked them up again and ended up buying them. As I was walking out the door, I remembered something that I had prayed about a few weeks before, about seeing a certain pair of shoes and saying "Man, I sure would like to have something like those someday, Lord." Well, it turns out the shoes that I bought are shaped more or less like the shoe that I saw then, but I like these even better.

Now, you may be asking yourself why on earth I am telling you this story about a pair of shoes. Well, the answer is simple. It really doesn't have anything to do with the pair of shoes. I honestly could care less about the shoes, but they are what I expected them to be. A tangible reminder of God's great love for me. He knows me better than I know myself, for He knit me together in my mother's womb. My frame was not hidden from Him and He knew my unformed substance and all the days that were written before me before I was even born (see Psalm 139 for even more details of how He knows us).

He's been trying to pound this sense of being my beloved into my head, no, more into my heart for a long time, but I couldn't really grasp it. Today I grasped it. He knows me better than I know myself. He knows when I rise and when I sit. He perceives my thoughts from afar. We serve a great and mighty God who has taken the time to specifically knit us together. Think about that. Knit us together. That means that He was hands on involved. Not just some distant deity saying, "Be born" and out we popped. No, He put us together. Our eyes are blue or gold (are there gold eyes?) or green because He wanted them to be. We are right or left handed or ambidextrous because He wanted them to be, and not only that, but He rejoices over us with singing.

We serve a great and awesome God who loves us so much, and that reality was reinforced to me today. Yes, merely with a pair of shoes, but with a pair of shoes that were more than what I could have imagined myself owning, and He who knows me well directed me to them.

Again, it's not about the shoes, but they do leave me in awestruck wonder of how beloved we are to Him.

2 comments:

  1. I've been struck with this truth of the Lord forming us and knowing us so well as I've read Isaiah lately. Thanks for the encouragement and reminder, Justin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, isn't it awesome. I looked up the word "beloved" the other day, and it means greatly loved. Not just a ltlle bit loved, or just regularly loved, but GREATLY loved. It has simply blown me away this past week. I'm so greatly for it, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete