Monday, January 3, 2011

Follow Him

Living out in western North Dakota has its many benefits, such as: a fantastic view of the endless miles ahead of you, a large man-made lake with a disputable name pronunciation and learning to walk crooked in order to brace yourself against the wind. But, it also has it's downfalls, especially when your family lives eight hours away, and your husband's family lives thirteen hours away.

Often times, after a trip at home, or up to the Langness' in Michigan, I start thinking things like, "Man! It'd be so nice to live closer to them . . . if we lived somewhere in the middle of Sioux Falls or Ishpeming; or if we lived pert near close one of them - that would be so wonderful." It's not common for me to dream up of a day when Jordan and I will pack up the ministry in Beulah and head farther east - closer to family.

It's at times like these that I am most struck by Jesus' words in Matthew 10 -

"He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take up his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me." (vs.37-38)

It's easy for me to want to live closer to family - but I have to remember that as servants of Christ, Jordan and I will follow the Lord wherever He calls us . . . and that might even be farther from "home".

Am I willing to give up my selfish desires for the advancement of the Kingdom of Christ? I pray that I am willing to go wherever the Lord leads.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for sharing that Sarah! That's exactly what I needed to hear in this time of life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah,
    Good grief. Thank you for letting God use you to speak to me. I figure after two songs in a row on the radio called "Follow You" and this post...He must have somewhere He's leading me! Thanks for posting this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise the Lord for the way He works. Unfortunately, it's so much easier to write about lessons like this than to actually live them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true Sarah, doing something is always the harder part of knowing you need to do something. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete