Sunday, January 9, 2011

Day By Day

I enjoy having set plans. If something goes wrong in my plans I tend to get rather flustered. However, I hate making decisions. These two don't necessarily go together, as one would need to make a decision in order to have plans to follow.

Do you ever feel like life is going too fast and suddenly the world is telling you that you've grown up? Being a little kid again sounds glorious, to have no worries in the world. Now everything seems to worry me-- money, where I'm going to school, jobs, everything!

The hymn "Day by Day" has seemed to have a common theme this past week for me, as it was sung for special music at Chapel this week and one of the hymns at church this morning. As I was driving to church I was trying to figure out my life and all the plans that are running around in my head, but unable to do so because I loathe making decisions. It finally hit me in church that God calls us to live for Him day by day. My sister would always tell me that God laughs at me when I try to plan my life. He must find me rather amusing then!

James 4 reads, "You do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that". How often do we make our plans and throw a tantrum when things seem to go against our will? I know I do quite frequently. But we are called to give our requests to God, all of our plans and hopes for the future--He knows what to do with them.

I want to leave you with the first verse from that hymn today. As you go about your week, remember that following God is a daily relationship and God gives us the power to meet all of our needs for that day.

Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father's wise bestowment,
I've no cause for worry or for fear.
He, whose heart is kind beyond all measure,
Gives unto each day what He deems best,
Lovingly its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.

2 comments:

  1. That's a great hymn! And a well spoken reminder, Thanks for sharing what God is teaching you currently, it's impacting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this, Kate! It is a lesson I have had to learn many times over . . . and am still learning. It's so wonderful to know that we have a Redeemer who is intimately acquainted with us, who created us and formed us, who knows all things about us. We really have no need for worry or fear with the Lord directing our steps!

    ReplyDelete