Sunday, October 17, 2010

Hold Fast

"The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the Word of our Lord will stand forever"
-Isaiah 40:8

I'm a nanny for the cutest, sweetest, most perfect little one year old on the face of the earth. Okay, maybe I'm a little biased...but she's still great. We often go on walks in this beautiful autumn weather as they are surrounded by the most lovely nature right in the middle of the cities. Right outside their place there are bushes and bushes of wildflowers, so I usually pick one for her to play with on our walk. As I picked a big, yellow one for her last week I noticed she still had it when we got back, she had held onto that flower with all of her might so that it had no resemblance of a flower at all at the end.

This made me think of all the "flowers" I hold onto in my life. Whether it be actual flowers that I'm refusing to throw away at the moment, or trivial things in life that I hold onto, they're going to pass away. The Word of God assures us of that. However, it is the Word that will remain forever, God's Holy Word-- which, like Him, cannot fade. How awesome is that!

The phrase "hold fast" is seen in the ESV Bible 23 times. Among other things, we're called to hold onto our righteousness, our integrity, love and justice, goodness, God, and His Word. This phrase always reminds me of someone who refuses to let go, as dictionary.com puts it "something securely in place"

So you can try to hold fast to something in life, such as flowers, relationships, or whatever it is that you're holding onto. However, they will fail you. Friends, let us hold fast to that which cannot fail us, God and His Holy Word! I hope this will challenge and encourage you this day to examine what you're holding onto in this life.

"You shall walk after the LORD your God and fear Him and keep His commandments and obey His voice, and you shall serve Him and hold fast to Him"
Deuteronomy 13:4

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the thought and encouragement, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate,

    I really appreciate your commitment to the ministry of this blog while you are going through your sixth year...I mean, first year of Bible School.

    ReplyDelete