Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Every year at the Doctor's Office I work at they have a big Halloween theme competition. We have two suites and each suite competes to win a nice dinner out paid for by the Doctor that owns the practice

We've known about this competition for weeks. My suite decided to do The Wizard of Oz and the other side is doing Toy Story. Each team was supposed to decorate their suite with their theme this weekend and we are coming in costume to work on Friday.

On Sunday I went to work to help decorate and to my surprise only two other people on my team showed up to decorate our suite! I felt frustrated and disappointed that so few people on my team came to help. The other team however showed up in full force to decorate their suite.

The difference in sides showed. The other team showed up and worked together and did a fantastic job decorating. Our side did not.

Who do you think will win this contest?

A week ago I read 1 Corinthians 12, verses 12-31 are entitled "One body, many parts."


Verses 24-27 especially stood out to me. "While our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it. Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it."




When you lack unity it's not just the whole body that suffers, but the individual parts also suffer.

I'm encouraged by the way God intends for us to work together. I'm encouraged that we share in each others sufferings and joys. I'm encouraged that we are not alone. When we go it alone we burden ourselves. We end up frustrated, discouraged, hurt and disappointed. God has created us to need others. We are not self sufficient. We miss out on the blessing others have to give us and we have to give others when we do not work together.

I think this short video shows the need for others and for teamwork perfectly:



What happened at work isn't disappointing because we won't win. What's disappointing is that we failed to be a team.

We forget to ask others if the need us and we forget to ask others when we need them. I think our responsibility is two fold. I think it's our responsibility to seek help from others and I think it's our responsibility to offer to help others.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Praise the Lord He doesn't call us to work alone! Yet somehow, we so often think we need to do it all on our own . . .
    Thanks, Naomi! Praying for you, sister!

    ReplyDelete