Thursday, October 28, 2010

Escalators are still Exciting

Yesterday I had a meeting with the Young Life staff from the South West Twin Cities Area. This does not sound exciting. But let me tell you what - five wonderful co-workers of mine converged at the Mall of America for a little business, and we had a great time. While I was waiting for everyone to arrive, I sat by two escalators. Again, this does not sound exciting.

Now I didn't grow up riding riding escalators on a regular bassis, so any opportunity I get to stand in one spot while going up the stairs is an opportunity I don't want to miss. While I do this, the thought always enters my mind to go the wrong direction - go down the up, and then up the down.

So there I am, almost 23 years old, smiling like a child, bounding down the up escalator. Things started off well as my legs battled gravity, my mind was focused, and innocent bystanders gawked. What seems awkward at first becamea nice rhythm as my feet stepped down and glided back, inefficient but enjoyable, going against the flow. A successful journey almost ended in humiliation, but agility, experience, and determination landed my feet firmly on stationary ground. One step backward and I was enjoying an effortless ride back to the top.

As a Christian, I feel like I should be running down the up escalator of life all the time. Too often I follow the crowd, step on the moving staircase, and enjoy an effortless ride to the top. I don't even think about putting one foot in front of the other and next thing I know, I'm stumbling over myself at the top as everyone around me hurries on by.

As a Christian "young adult" it is easiest to live the way my culture is living. What does that look like? I'm involved in all areas of life. I am getting networked for the rest of my life. I should be capitalizing on every opportunity, making the most of my day. Staying connected, technology is at my fingertips more often than not. As a student I am studying after going to class. Going to work and staying out of debt. Now is the time when I should be seeing the world, having fun, and meeting new people. My body needs exercising. And of course, I'm trying to grow in my relationship with Christ.

Why do I notice the busyness more than I notice how I am growing closer to Christ?
Why is it hard for me to listen to God?
Why am I frustrated with the way my schedule shapes my life?

God clearly tells us humans how we are to live our life each week. Exodus 20:8-11 and Deuteronomy 5:12-15 both give Christian "young adults" a pattern for life that God desires us to follow. In light of God's work during Creation (Exodus) and His people being liberated from Egypt (Deuteronomy), the Sabbath is heavy on the heart of our Father. Work six days then rest on the seventh day. Simple. The cultures I am surrounded by today, both secular and Christian, simply do not have the rhythym of Sabbath rest incorporated into them. Living a life that goes against the flow is not easy. Going from a schedule that I'm used to, back to what God desires takes planning, prayer, and power that only God provides.

I have heard the Gospel. The Holy Spirit has lead me to respond in faith. But unfortunately I have continued to live my life the way culture sees fit. I've been hopping on the escalator with everyone around me. It sure is busy, but it feels right - until I realize that I'm no different today than I was yesterday.

God has been pulling me back toward Him for a long time.

God wants me to run down the up escalator with Him.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your thoughts, Tim! I too, love escalators and have been tempted to go up a down . .. but always too afraid to do so. May I not be too afraid to run down the up escalator with the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, I love the illustration of going down the up escalator. Kudos for being brave enough to actually do that! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete