Friday, August 13, 2010

summer, stars, and a Savior

I haven't written for a while because of three things - summer, stars, and a Savior.

Being on staff with Young Life, I was at a camp for the entire month of July. Working, living, eating, smelling, conversing, and just living with 50 high school kids all month was awesome! God was at work in so many lives everyday, shaping his children into who He wants them to be. What a blessing it was to be a part of that.

Stars are cool. Not the type you find on MTV, in movies, or on the radio - I'm talking about the things light years away in outerspace. Stars are so cool that I decided to study them "independently" at the college level this summer. Astronomy on-line! Yea! When you finish making nerd jokes take a look up at the night sky and realize that the God who created you, put those tiny dots of light out there too. He holds everything in the palm of his hand - yet still cares about every intimate detail of your life.

When you sin - He loves you. When you sing songs of praise to Him - He must nod his head like that dude listening to Dave Matthews Band on his iPod while he longboards through the park. When you whine and complain - He patiently listens. When you listen - He speaks. When you laugh - He smiles. When you cry - He has the biggest shoulder ever to put your head on. The God who created all of the world sent His Son to live life with us. WOW.

This summer has been fun studying the stars and getting to know my Savior more and more. The other day is was taking my "Planets Quiz" and this is what God put on my heart ...

Question 17 - Jupiter has a bunch of as-yet unnamed moons. What would you like to have one of them be named, and WHY?

If I could name one of Jupiter's moons, I would create a totally new name - JoAlanne. This is a combination of the names Joanne & Allen. My parents are two of the most incredible people ever created by the hands of God. My Dad (Allen) has MS and has stayed faithful to God throughout the 20+ years having the disease. My Mom (Joanne) has stayed committed to her husband through all of the difficulties life has brought. They are two stellar objects in God's creation whose life together has always been orbiting the Son.

Soli Deo Gloria.

No comments:

Post a Comment