Wednesday, August 18, 2010

God Keeps His Promises

In Jeremiah chapter one we read about the call of Jeremiah. God says "I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." (v. 5)

What God was asking of Jeremiah was no small task. Not only would it be difficult, it would be terrifying. And yet, God commanded Jeremiah to not be terrified. God told him he would be a fortified city, an iron pillar and a bronze wall. It wasn't his own strength he would be depending on but God's. He had God's promise to be present with him. Twice in Jeremiah 1 God says He will be with him and rescue him.



Jeremiah 1:8 "Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you, declares the LORD."
Jeremiah 1:19 "They will fight against you but will not overcome you, for I am with you and will rescue you.' declares the LORD."



That's a double promise: God will be with him and God will rescue him.


In church on Sunday the Pastor said, "If you get one thing out of this sermon it is that: God Keeps His Promises.


Titus 1:2 says "a faith and knowledge resting on the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time,"


God keeps His promises and God does not lie. Therefore if He says He will do something, by His very nature and being, He has to do it. The very essence of who God is let's us know He will do what He says He will do.


I know God has been teaching me to trust Him, rely on Him and abide in Him is the last few weeks. I think it can be hard to trust God will keep His word because it calls for surrender in our lives. 


When I think of surrender I often think of the hymn, "I Surrender All," by Judson W. Van DeVenter (and yes I looked that up).



All to Jesus, I surrender;
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.

I surrender all, I surrender all,
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.

All to Jesus I surrender;
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
Take me, Jesus, take me now.

All to Jesus, I surrender;
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel the Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.

All to Jesus, I surrender;
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power;
Let Thy blessing fall on me.

All to Jesus I surrender;
Now I feel the sacred flame.
O the joy of full salvation!
Glory, glory, to His Name!

We have a lot in common with Jeremiah. We have a lot in common as believers and followers of Christ. Like Jeremiah we too are called. Like Jeremiah we have God's promise to be with us and to rescue us. We might not (probably won't) face Jeremiah's situation, but live in a world that has also become hardened to God's Word. We too are messengers to our generation, to our peers and the people of our land. No matter what we do or the situation we face, we can be confident in these things; that God is with us, keeps His promises and is trustworthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment