Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Back to the Very Beginning (For the Ephesians Anyway)

I'm not really sure what I ought to be blogging about this time around. I've been thinking about it all day and now that I am finally able to be in front of the computer I don't know what to write. I've been thinking a lot about the Gospel lately. Just about how important and essential it is too keep the Gospel pure and undefiled. When we start messing (by we I mean people in general) start changing it or adding elements to it that are not Biblical it is extremely dangerous ground to be walking on. The Scripture is full of warnings of being on the lookout for false prophets and teachers and it is good and right that we are able to distinguish between the truth and lies. I have also been thinking though about how there needs to be a balance in our lives. I am reminded of the letter to the "angel of the church in Ephesus" and how they were commended for not bearing with those who are evil and testing those who called themselves apostles and found them to to be false. Those were good things that they were doing, just as there are many that I am aware of that are doing these very same things, but I fear that some may have fallen into the same error that the Ephesian church did. They had abandoned the love they had at first and had become so preoccupied with finding false teachers and getting rid of the evil ones that they had lost sight of the works that they had originally been called to do. In my personal experience I have seen others like that and I take it as a word of warning as well. Truth is a necessary and important thing and we must fight for pure; unadulterated doctrine and responding to those that are evil must be done but we cannot forget to do the things that we are first called to do and some elements of that are simply loving Christ and loving those around us as God calls us to do. Fight for truth, yes, but let us not let it dominate our lives. Let us not bear with those that are evil, but let us not do it without love. Love must dominate all things for without love we are a few different things and I certainly don't want to be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

Sorry, my thoughts are kind of scattered tonight, but I hope you are able to get the gist of what I am saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment