Sunday, August 29, 2010

Bondservant of Christ

"Make me a servant, humble and meek. Lord let me lift up those who are weak..."

This simple, old song came to mind last night when I was sitting in a circle having my youth leader wash my feet. I was blessed to attend "Addicted: Hope, Faith, Love" - a one day get together with multiple youth groups from around the Twin Cities. We had a full day of worship, small group sessions, messages, recreation, and serving at Feed My Starving Children. We met in the morning and it wasn't over until late into the evening. By the end of the event we were all dragging our feet after a long day, more tired than most of us had realized.

We served at Feed My Starving Children right over the lunch hour; standing in the same position for over an hour while hungry doesn't make for happy and awake teenagers. However, that evening we heard a message from a local pastor who brought Pastor Jason Holt up to the front and asked him some questions about his wife. He began with simple questions such as "Do you love your wife" but further on asked "Does all that your wife do for you and your children make it easier for you to serve her?" After posing this question to the group, the pastor reminded us of everything that Christ has done for us.

So after volunteering and a long day together, Pastor Holt had our youth leaders wash our feet. We were tired and please believe me when I say that everyone's feet did not smell like a bed of roses after being in closed toed shoes all day! However, that question kept ringing in my head, only a little different now. Shouldn't all that Christ has done for us make it impossible not to serve Him?

Last week I spoke about prayer, this week I'd like to address what we pray about. When is the last time you prayed to ask God to help you serve Him? There is absolutely no way you can serve Him in your own power, I've tried for years and it doesn't work. If we prayed what that old song says, would we be ready for the results? Would we really want God to make us a servant?

But really, shouldn't all that Christ has done for us make it impossible not to serve Him?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the encouragement, Kate! I agree completely with you. If we consider all that Jesus has done for us, how can we do anything but serve Him with our lives?

    ReplyDelete